Monday 11 January 2016

Evaluation; Question 1

Q1. in what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?



From the prior research that I have done into conventions of music videos, I stuck to it and developed it further. In the genre house pop, it consists upbeat music that has a fast tempo. Also in terms of mise-en-scene, I stuck to using various wide-spaced locations that was quite vibrate, bright ad cheerful. Like other videos, I made sure that the costume did not clash with the vibrant setting. I also used a lot of jump cuts which is a huge convention of music videos in this genre which is mentioned in Carol Vernallis' theory. The music video was disjuncture which is part of Andrew Goodwin's theory when considering pop video's. 




I also followed Goodwin's theory by ending the music video with a fade.


Although, my music video doesn't have a particular narrative, some conventions of Carol Vernallis was executed in my work. For example, the camera was never still in my music video. I deliberately used many special effects in post production which is also part of this theory.


When considering Laura Mulvey's representation on representation, subconsciously my video doesn't show women in a seductive way, the woman in my music video was very active rather than the usual passivity they have in music video's. Her body in my music video was not dismembered in a seductive way. 

 My Music video follows the conventions the songs genre well including; dancing, bright colours and special effects.
(GIF demonstrating dancing in music video)
(GIF demonstrating bright colours in music video)

(GIF demonstrating special effects in music video)

When it comes to the Digipak, I also followed the conventions. I had a close up of the artist and made sure that the artist name is extremely visible and a clear representation of the music and her name. I kept the digipak clear as that is common in this genre of music and I used Karen Hardings digipak cover as a close representation but developed the colours more to match the music video.
With the website, I particularly paid attention to the header of my website and realised that the social media links and the artist names are commonly placed there. They also include an extremely large close up of the artist in the top of the website which is convention to this genre as the artist is usually the focus.
(Jessie J, mine and Jess Glynne headers that included social media links

(Jessie J, mine and Jess Gylnne's header with close up and artist names)

No comments:

Post a Comment